Honoring Our Veterans

Below is a brief list of some of the benefits for eligible veterans. For further information and answers to all eligibility, requirements, and benefits questions, contact the Veterans Administration, or by phone at 1-800-827-1000.

To submit applications by mail, please send to the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs:

105 NW 70th Ave.
Camp Dodge, Bldg. 3663
Johnston, IA 50131-1824

For more information, call 800-838-4692 or email idva.info@iowa.gov.


To be eligible, you must be a veteran discharged or separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable who has completed the required period of service, and U.S. Armed Forces members who die on active duty. Spouses and dependent children of eligible living and deceased veterans, and of current and deceased Armed Forces members, may also be eligible.

Free Burial in a National Cemetery

The United States Government provides free burial in a National Cemetery to all those eligible. This includes the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave, and perpetual care. Many national cemeteries have columbaria niches for the inurnment of cremated remains or special sections for burial of cremated remains.

Free Headstones & Markers

The United States Government provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans and eligible dependents anywhere in the world that are not already marked. Flat bronze, flat granite, flat marble, and upright marble types are available to mark the grave of a veteran or dependent in the style consistent with exiting monuments at the place of burial. Bronze niche markers also are available to mark columbaria in national cemeteries used for inurnment of cremated remains.

When burial is in a private cemetery, VA Form 40-1330, Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker must be submitted by the next-of-kin or a representative, such as funeral director, cemetery official or Veterans counselor; along with the veteran’s DD Form-214 (discharge form). Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned.

Free Presidential Memorial Certificate

The Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC) is a parchment with a calligraphic inscription expressing the nation’s grateful recognition of the veteran’s service. The veteran’s name is inscribed, and the certificate bears the signature of the President and the presidential seal in gold foil.

Eligible recipients, or someone acting on their behalf, may apply for a PMC in person at any VA regional office or by U.S. mail or toll-free fax. VA Form 40-0247 must be submitted. Requests cannot be sent via email. Please be sure to enclose a copy of the Veteran’s discharge and death certificate to verify eligibility, as we cannot process any request without proof of honorable military service. Please submit copies only, as we will not return original documents.

Free United States Burial Flag

The United States Government provides an American flag to drape the casket of a veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. After the funeral service, the flag may be given to the next-of-kin or a close associate of the deceased.

You may apply for a flag at any VA regional office or U.S. Post Office by completing VA Form 21-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. The veteran’s DD Form-214 (discharge form) will be needed to complete the application.  Generally, the funeral director will assist the family in obtaining the burial flag. For more information, visit their website at the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs.


Below is a list of organizations that provide information and resources to veterans. If you are aware of additional organizations that provide assistance to veterans, please contact IFDA.